Psychology & Family Counselling
Psychology and Family Counselling
Psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and behaviour. It is a multifaceted discipline and includes the study of many sub-categories such as human development, health, clinical, social behaviour and cognitive processes. It includes the study of conscious and unconscious phenomena, as well as feeling and thought.
A professional practitioner or researcher in this field is called a psychologist and can be classified as a behavioural, social or cognitive scientist. They understand and evaluate the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior while also exploring the biological and physiological processes that underlie behaviours and cognitive functions.
Psychologists observe and evaluate behaviour and mental responses, including perception, attention, reaction, cognition, intelligence, motivation, brain functioning, and personality. This also includes communication between people like interpersonal relationships, including psychological pliability, family resilience, and other areas.
What is a Psychologist?
A psychologist typically does the following things:
- Collect information through observations, questions, tests, surveys and other methods
- Find patterns in behaviour that may help understand and predict behaviour
- Use their knowledge and expertise to increase understanding among people
- Develop programs that help improving the environment at schools and workplaces by addressing psychological problems
- Work with individuals, couples, and families to help them in making desired changes to their behaviours
- Identify, evaluate and diagnose behavioural, mental or emotional disorders
- Coordinate with doctors or social workers to help treat patients
What is Family Counselling?
Family counselling is a type of psychological therapy (psychotherapy) that helps family members improve understanding communication and resolve clashes. It is done by a psychologist or a clinical social worker. These therapists have special training and knowledge in providing family therapy.
Family counselling is usually a short term therapy. It includes all family members or just those who are willing to participate. The strategy of therapy depends on specific family situations. Family counselling can teach you skills to improve family connections and easily get through stressful times, even after your sessions are over. It improves the bonding and understanding between the family members.
A psychologist or a family counsellor can help families cope with issues like:
- Family conflicts
- Culture shock
- Intergenerational differences
- Separation or divorce
- Financial issues
- Addiction/ Alcoholism
- Domestic abuse
- Family violence
Why should I go for Family Counselling?
Why should I go to RxDx for consulting a psychologist or for family counselling?
Know more on: How Psychology Can Contribute in Family Counseling?
RxDx is also tied up with Healtheminds – an online video counseling service where you can access counselors and psychiatrists from the comfort of your home
You May Like…
- How Exercise Benefits My Heart Health? October 7, 2019
- Is There a Relation Between our Food and Mood? September 28, 2019
- Are you always worrying? It can be Anxiety disorder! September 21, 2019
- Hydrotherapy – an Effective and Natural Therapy for Pain Relief September 12, 2019
- Gait Analysis: What experts have to say? September 10, 2019
The more you learn about yourself, the better you will feel
Health-E-Minds – For mental health therapy and wellness to take you to a private, secure and easily accessible counseling service