What is Colonoscopy?
Why do I need a colonoscopy?
- Detect the causes of unexplained bowel changes
- Evaluate symptoms of abdominal pain or rectal bleeding
- Look for signs of cancer
- Diagnose the reasons for unexplained weight loss, constipation or diarrhea
The American college of surgeons has estimated that 76 to 90% of colon cancer can be prevented by colonoscopy screening.
How should I prepare for a colonoscopy?
Before colonoscopy, the doctor will ask you to:
- Follow a special diet one day before the procedure: You will not be allowed to take any solid food the day before the exam. You will be allowed to take clear liquids like water, broth, aerated drinks and tea/coffee without milk.
- Take a laxative: You will be asked to take a laxative the night before the procedure to completely clear your bowels.
- Other medications: The doctor may ask you to change the timings and dosage of other medications you have been taking for other ailments.
What happens during a colonoscopy?
What happens after the colonoscopy?
It takes about an hour to recover from the sedation so you will need someone to take you home. You will be advised rest for the entire day. You may pass gas or feel bloated for a few hours after the exam. If the doctor has removed polyp during the colonoscopy, then you may have to take a special diet for a few days. You may also find a small amount of blood when you pass stools after the procedure.
What are the harmful effects of colonoscopy?
Rarely colonoscopy may cause complications like:
- Allergic reaction to sedative used during the procedure
- A tear in the colon or rectum
- Bleeding from the colon
When to seek medical care?
If you experience any of the following symptoms after colonoscopy, call your doctor or seek medical care right away:
- Sever pain in the abdomen
- Blood in stools which is not getting better
- Bleeding from anus
To know more or to book an appointment please call 08049261111
You May Like…
- Diet in Asthma November 28, 2019
- Winters are approaching, have you got Flu shot yet? November 15, 2019
- How Exercise Benefits My Heart Health? October 7, 2019
- Is There a Relation Between our Food and Mood? September 28, 2019
- Are you always worrying? It can be Anxiety disorder! September 21, 2019